How to get a SIN

Get a Social Insurance Number (SIN) for Your Child


To benefit from government grants like the Canada Education Savings Grant (CESG) or the Canada Learning Bond (CLB), the Government of Canada requires that you register your child's RESP with a Social Insurance Number (SIN). If your child doesn’t yet have one, it’s best to apply before or as soon as you open your RESP.  You only have 18 months to apply for the SIN from the day the plan is opened.

To get a SIN, you can:

  • Apply Online
  • Download the SIN Application and return the completed application, along with required documents (originals only; photocopies are not accepted) by mail or in person to any Service Canada Centre.

How to get a Social Insurance Number 

If your child doesn’t already have one, you’ll need to apply for a Social Insurance Number to benefit from government grants.

Learn More

Government Grants

An RESP is the best way to save for post-secondary education because contributions are eligible to receive government education grants.  Applying for government grants couldn’t be easier.

Learn More

Forms & Resources

  • Social Insurance Number Application

    Read More
  • Canada Education Savings Grant and Canada Learning Bond

    Read More
  • Application for British Columbia Training and Education Savings Grant

    Read More

Which RESP is right for you?

A Knowledge First Financial Sales Representative can guide you through the process of choosing an RESP that is right for you and your family. 

Find a Sales Representative